It’s going to be a scorcher this weekend, best to stay in the shade and keep yourself refreshed. I recommend, my favorite Summer Cooler this year: a Pimm’s Cup. Pimm’s is a brand of alcoholic beverages, the most popular being the Pimm’s No. 1 Cup, a gin-based beverage served either on ice or in cocktails. It has a dark tea color, with a reddish tint, and has a slight spice and citrus fruit taste. It was created in 1859 by the English oyster bar owner James Pimm. The recipe is still a secret, and only six people know exactly how it is made!
Pimm’s Cup is most common in England and is one of the staple drinks at Wimbledon and the Henley Royal Regatta, the other one being champagne.
Give this recipe a try and you to can transport yourself to the banks of the River Thames to watch the Henley Regatta, or imagine you were Rafael Nadal taking away Roger Federer’s long running title at Wimbledon!!!!
***Ok, so it won’t magically transport you anywhere but it just might cool you off! Enjoy.
RECIPE: Pimm’s Cup
- Fill a Collins glass with ice.
- Mix 1 part Pimm’s Cup No. 1 with 2 parts lemonade.
- Stir or shake.
- Top off with club soda, or use lemon-lime soda for a sweeter drink.
- Stir lightly — but do NOT shake again.
- Garnish with a slice of Kirby cucumber; lemon wedge optional.
- If no lemonade is at hand, use Sprite or 7-Up.
- To make with ginger ale, use plenty of lemons.
- Mint, apple and orange can be added.
**Please note, I used a lemon-lime soda and thought it was tasty, but wanted the drink to be tarter. In England their lemonade is sparkling. So if you can find a lemonade soda I would give that a try. The cucumber is so good in the drink!!!